In light of Obama administration’s HHS controversy with American Catholic Bishops, JAC Director Paul Rahe writes, “At every turn in American politics since that time, you will find the [Catholic Church] hierarchy assisting the Democratic Party and promoting the growth of the administrative entitlements state. At no point have its members evidenced any concern for sustaining limited government and protecting the rights of individuals. It did not cross the minds of these prelates that the liberty of conscience which they had grown to cherish is part of a larger package – that the paternalistic state, which recognizes no legitimate limits on its power and scope, that they had embraced would someday turn on the Church and seek to dictate whom it chose to teach its doctrines and how, more generally, it would conduct its affairs. I would submit that the bishops, nuns, and priests now screaming bloody murder have gotten what they asked for.” Read part 1 and part 2 of the article at Ricochet.
JAC’s Paul Rahe on “American Catholicism’s Pact With the Devil”
Our Latest Podcasts
Enjoy our latest Podcast productions today with iTunes.
- Saturday Night Science: Pitch Drop February 6, 2016Viscosity is a measure of how strongly a fluid resists gradual deformation. Fluids with higher viscosity such as honey are thought of as “thicker” than less viscous fluids like water. The range of viscosities in liquids is enormous. Superfluids, such as Helium-II, have zero viscosity. Honey is between 2,000 and 10,000 times more viscous than water. Some fluiJohn Walker
- GLoP Live / GOP Debate February 6, 2016Listen live and chat with fellow members at Ricochet Live. Not a member? Join today! We’ll be streaming GLoP live starting at 5PM. The GLoPpers (Jonah Goldberg, Rob Long, and John Podhoretz) will break for the GOP debate, which we’ll also stream, then reconvene afterward for post-debate banter. The post GLoP Live / GOP Debate appeared first on Ricochet.Ricochet Editor's Desk
- From The Rooney Rule to the Looney Rule February 6, 2016Tweet by: the Common Constitutionalist In 2003 the National Football League instituted a hiring practice called the Rooney Rule. The rule was named for Dan Rooney, the owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers and chairman of the NFL diversity committee and … read morethe Common Constitutionalist
- Worm Inspires Wet Adhesive February 5, 2016Tweet The sandcastle worm has inspired a new form of underwater adhesive (Credit: Fred Hayes) Science has turned its torch to many corners of the animal kingdom in the pursuit of advanced adhesives. Immoveable mussels, grippy geckos and stubborn shellfish … read morethe Common Constitutionalist
- Keeping Faith in Provo March 1, 2014Oh say, what is truth? ’Tis the fairest gem / That the riches of worlds can produce, / And priceless the value of truth will be when / The proud monarch’s costliest diadem / Is counted but dross and refuse.” Hearing these words, sung with devotion and considerable musical talent by a congregation consisting of two hundred mostly freshmen students at Brigham
- Leo Strauss for Believers January 30, 2014These thoughts are offered as an addendum and complement (mostly) to Peter Lawler’s recent “Leo Strauss and Postmodern Conservatism.”Whatever Leo Strauss’ personal disposition on the question of Biblical religion (and he certainly seems not to have been a believer in any familiar sense), he remains an indispensable thinker for believers because of his unriv