In light of Obama administration’s HHS controversy with American Catholic Bishops, JAC Director Paul Rahe writes, “At every turn in American politics since that time, you will find the [Catholic Church] hierarchy assisting the Democratic Party and promoting the growth of the administrative entitlements state. At no point have its members evidenced any concern for sustaining limited government and protecting the rights of individuals. It did not cross the minds of these prelates that the liberty of conscience which they had grown to cherish is part of a larger package – that the paternalistic state, which recognizes no legitimate limits on its power and scope, that they had embraced would someday turn on the Church and seek to dictate whom it chose to teach its doctrines and how, more generally, it would conduct its affairs. I would submit that the bishops, nuns, and priests now screaming bloody murder have gotten what they asked for.” Read part 1 and part 2 of the article at Ricochet.
JAC’s Paul Rahe on “American Catholicism’s Pact With the Devil”
Our Latest Podcasts
Enjoy our latest Podcast productions today with iTunes.
- What Would You Do? April 29, 2014What Would You Do? For the past few years, amazing it has been that long, Ricochet has proven quite the experience. I’ve had opportunities to exchange opinions with, to argue and debate with individuals who in the normal course of events it is rather unlikely I would have ever met. Suppose you were given an announcement that Mr. Long and Robinson could no lRoberto
- Could There a Biden – Warren Ticket? August 29, 2015A CNN/ORC poll published last Friday showed that the public disapproves of the way President Obama is leading the country by a margin of 51 percent to 47 percent. This would be troubling news for Obama if he were seeking a … read morethe Common Constitutionalist
- The Survival of Hillary’s Candidacy Is Up to Obama August 29, 2015by: the Common Constitutionalist Yesterday Rush Limbaugh did a fairly lengthy segment regarding people calling and e-mailing him about Hillary Clinton. He began with: “Do any of you really, really think she’s not going to be the nominee? Come on, … read morethe Common Constitutionalist
- Keeping Faith in Provo March 1, 2014Oh say, what is truth? ’Tis the fairest gem / That the riches of worlds can produce, / And priceless the value of truth will be when / The proud monarch’s costliest diadem / Is counted but dross and refuse.” Hearing these words, sung with devotion and considerable musical talent by a congregation consisting of two hundred mostly freshmen students at Brigham
- Leo Strauss for Believers January 30, 2014These thoughts are offered as an addendum and complement (mostly) to Peter Lawler’s recent “Leo Strauss and Postmodern Conservatism.”Whatever Leo Strauss’ personal disposition on the question of Biblical religion (and he certainly seems not to have been a believer in any familiar sense), he remains an indispensable thinker for believers because of his unriv