In light of Obama administration’s HHS controversy with American Catholic Bishops, JAC Director Paul Rahe writes, “At every turn in American politics since that time, you will find the [Catholic Church] hierarchy assisting the Democratic Party and promoting the growth of the administrative entitlements state. At no point have its members evidenced any concern for sustaining limited government and protecting the rights of individuals. It did not cross the minds of these prelates that the liberty of conscience which they had grown to cherish is part of a larger package – that the paternalistic state, which recognizes no legitimate limits on its power and scope, that they had embraced would someday turn on the Church and seek to dictate whom it chose to teach its doctrines and how, more generally, it would conduct its affairs. I would submit that the bishops, nuns, and priests now screaming bloody murder have gotten what they asked for.” Read part 1 and part 2 of the article at Ricochet.
JAC’s Paul Rahe on “American Catholicism’s Pact With the Devil”
Our Latest Podcasts
Enjoy our latest Podcast productions today with iTunes.
- Brad Thor: Trump Is an Extinction Level Threat to American Democracy May 26, 2016Best-selling spy novel author Brad Thor just gave a remarkable interview on the Glenn Beck show in which he passionately explained why Donald Trump represents “an extinction level” threat to American democracy. I’m in full agreement. Here are Thor’s remarks, as reported by Lori, a journalist employed by the Beck organization. Everyone should read this. […]Robert Zubrin
- The Libertarian, with Richard Epstein: “Should Britain Exit the EU?” May 25, 2016Richard Epstein considers the choice facing Britons in June: whether or not the United Kingdom should remain a part of the European Union. The post The Libertarian, with Richard Epstein: “Should Britain Exit the EU?” appeared first on Ricochet.Troy Senik
- Useless Departments and Programs Drive Up College Tuition May 26, 2016Tweet By: the Common Constitutionalist Have you noticed that higher education is the only industry in America, other than maybe the “renewable energy” industry, that never gets any cheaper? Businesses in every other industry must compete for customers by cost … read morethe Common Constitutionalist
- Wearable Solar Panel May 25, 2016Tweet Because the wires connecting the tiles are actually longer than the space between them, the device can be stretched out of shape. While we’ve seen promising prototypes of computers that conform to the contours of human wrists and forearms, … read morethe Common Constitutionalist
- Mormons and Creedal Christians: Common Ground? May 10, 2016Mormons must appreciate Richard Mouw’s good faith effort to find common ground between us and “orthodox” Christians, as well as First Things’s according him the space to publish this effort. I reply in the same spirit, hoping both correctly to identify common ground and to explain differences in such a way as to contribute to […]
- Keeping Faith in Provo March 1, 2014Oh say, what is truth? ’Tis the fairest gem / That the riches of worlds can produce, / And priceless the value of truth will be when / The proud monarch’s costliest diadem / Is counted but dross and refuse.” Hearing these words, sung with devotion and considerable musical talent by a congregation consisting of […]